Sunday, November 30, 2008

do you wanna tangle, or do you wanna go it alone?

thanksgiving weekend. four days. two paid vacation. two extra lazy normal days. hoorah!

for thanksgiving i first went to my mother's side of the family at my aunt's house. that side of the family is hilarious. we are all so very different, and all so alike. almost everyone has o.c.d. quirks, neuroses, and spectacular streaks of humor. i love visiting with them. we all end up laughing until our stomachs hurt. i am so lucky to have a family that gets along so well. from there my family went to my father's side at my uncle's house. since my grandparents died on that side, our get togethers are less and less, but i still love and miss that side of my family. there were so many new additions to the family this year, and i found myself at the kid's table far more than the grown-up's table. i am constantly working with little kids for my job, obviously, but i hardly ever get to hang out with little little kids, who still love to cuddle and be held. love it! ate some more. wanted to burst. all in all, great thanksgiving. my favorite holiday. it can never go too wrong.

the next day i made a conscious promise to myself to attempt and have an anti-grinch mentality about christmas this year. since my teenage years, i have really dreaded christmas. i love the ideas behind it, but the practice of christmas sends me into panic and anxiety. the mention of snow and sleigh bells floors me. everything bad seems to happen around christmas. but because my mother loves the holiday so much, and does her damnedest to make it memorable every year, i have decided to try and re-learn to like christmas. so as my first act of good will toward the season, i helped her put up the family tree. it was good. i dug it. i even declined a pizza/movie party invitation from justin to continue with the tree. he took a nap instead and we met up for an hour afterward to eat a bit and watch an old cary grant movie. hoorah!

later that night was the ed ackerson cd release party at the varsity theater. i have heard a lot about ed, as he is an accomplished musician, especially in minneapolis, and he runs flowers studio (where many of my friend's bands have recorded).

justin and kari's band, farewell continental, was playing the show. i can now officially say their names, since they were not wearing ski masks while playing this time, ha. i met up with my friend from college, matt, who i had not seen in a while. went inside. we said hello to kari. we checked out the cases of vinyl records for sale (making me wish with all of me that i still owned a record player). we ordered some drinks, where the bartender recognized my perfume and swooned over it, yay! and then we trailed up front where farewell was setting up. suddenly i noticed that many people from my twitter list were standing around me, people who i had not met in real life. strange! i did not approach them at the show, but rather waited till i was on twitter again to say that i had seen them. haha. i felt it a breach of internet etiquette to just cross the line between screen and stage. steve was there. some of the white light riot boys trailed in (because dan, their bassist, was playing in the mood swings after farewell's set). justin moved some tall potted plants onto the stage, placing them on either side of him. crazy man! and the show began. as like before, they only had four/five songs, and the set passed far too quickly. kari's vocals were turned up higher than the last time they played at triple rock, which was a good thing. justin was quirky nervous, which made for twitchy hand movements that i think enhanced the presentation. overall i was much more impressed than the last time i saw them play.

after that set i ordered some more drinks, and watched (half-heartedly) the rest of the show. justin came out and stood by me. kari came over and said goodbye (as matt insisted to be a gentleman and carry out her amp for her). kari gave us her extra drink tickets, oh no. i love that girl. she is fabulous (for many more reasons than just drink tickets). went back in. gabe and mike minehart joined the crowd at that point. had some awkward moments that i will not go into. and eventually i became extremely tired from the wine and the long day. i stepped back and sat down on the risers, while gabe let me cuddle/sleep on him. justin was waiting to see polara play, because it was a band he liked when he was 15. ed ackerson was all around great, i just wish i had been more awake to enjoy it. soon the show ended, and i helped jp get his stuff back to his place.
i hijacked these photos--they are not my own.
farewell continental.
polara.

saturday i was supposed to make it to the 7th street entry to see readygoes and white light riot. i really REALLY wanted to see both of them play, but was so tired and not feeling that well, and therefore i did not go. they are all my buddies. they will forgive me.

instead i went to see twilight again with my mother, who had not seen it yet. i totally enjoyed it more the second time around, because i had no expectations. i just sat back and took it in. i still hate that the writer put herself into a cameo in the movie--lame. i still think that the movie is a sometimes-too-dramatic angsty teenage love story. but it is what it is. sitting in movie theaters reminds me how much people annoy me, though. arg. for the love of god.

today (sunday) i may go get coffee with slayer and dagger, and later i may meet up with kari at the ugly mug for some vikings glory. but seeing as i am a total pile this weekend, i am not sure if i will do any of this.

No comments: