Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Adreanna.

Whenever there was a perfect lullaby moon hanging in the sky, Adreanna perched herself outside of my window. She used to tell me that I had the perfect view of her favorite piece of sky. Every time she said this I swear I could have roped her to my roof and kept her forever.

I pretended her visits intruded on my personal time. I demanded that she find other places to praise her pagan gods. Adreanna never believed me. She would just begin to tap her long, tapered nails against the window pane. I imagined she kept the rhythm of the world's night in those fingers.

I never saw her during the day, she claimed disobedience to the sun. She refused to oblige it by entering into the afternoon. She said that her moon would see the adulterous touch of it on her skin. I thought she was full of shit and self-doubt--worried about what other people may have thought of her--but I still loved Adreanna anyway.

One lullaby moon night Adreanna did not appear at my window.

The month after that--still no Adreanna.

Then in January I awoke to banging on my window. I went back to sleep.

In the early morning freeze Adreanna's message was still etched onto the glass: "I miss your sky."

I thought she was full of shit and self-doubt, and I knew she had wandered into someone else's sky for a time.

From then on I kept my window shut at night--long past the cold months.

No comments: