Monday, July 5, 2010

Everytime it rains she just feels a lot better.

Virginia: Submerge Reunion ShowBefore Justin left for Warped Tour, I was treated to the experience that was the Submerge Reunion Show, a benefit for the guys' friend who had a stroke. It was a whirlwind trip! We traveled all the way to Virginia for only one day to see the show, as Justin was SUPER excited to see Matt and Tony's old band play once more. He made me listen to the whole CD on the plane ride there. I dug it. We landed, checked into the hotel, and set off for dinner. We landed at this upstairs-Italian food joint. The wait was long, and we feared we would miss the show, but luckily we got seated and scarfed right in time. Afterward we went to the venue, and JP introduced me to all of the old "scene" in which they started off with. We also hung out with Tony and Matt's families, who are ALWAYS such a joy to be around. Their parents are so like them, obviously. But it is always fun to see where people come from. I also officially met Jessica, a MCS fan, who drove hours to catch the show. Dedication, I tell ya!!! I love it! Her and her husband were lovely show-watching companions.

First a band called Sau started. It was fronted by Jack's Mannequin's bassist, Doctor J--who is the most hilarious man. His energy was fun to watch, and I actually loved the music. It was metal-y with a full horn section. What!? Yeah.

Then Submerge came on. Justin was practically jumping in joy. It was fun to watch him so excited for the guys. And let me tell you, they KILLED it! I had never seen them so close and from the very front. Wow. I thought Tony was going to break the drums, he was a machine!!! And Matt's bass skills and vocals were flawless. It was delicious! And I recognized some songs from listening a few hours earlier.

The next day Justin and I went to breakfast at a French-type of place, where both the manager and our server commented on how much they loved MCS (so cute). And then we hung out with Matt and Kristen. The two, since it is their hometown of sorts, showed us around. We all visited the local record store, but Kristen ended up saving me from boredom and she brought me to a really radical clothing store (where I would have bought everything save for the prices hindering my wallet opening) and a really funky toy shop of sorts. The guys met up with us there and we lingered looking at strange objects for a while. Then we visited a coffee shop. Chatted. Ate a lot of bakery goods. And eventually said our goodbyes. It was the first time Kristen and I had really ever talked, and I fell in love. She is so unique and has so many quirky and interesting hobbies--which I really envy. I was so glad that they took time out of their day to hang out with us.

Overall, WONDERFUL adventure. I love adventures.

Pickle Park: Hangs with Sarah (and her girls)
Sarah, lovely woman that she is, invited me out with her friends to Pickle Park a few Thursdays ago. I had such a good time with her. We talked all night (toward the end I don't quite remember what about), but Double was bartending that night, and of course he treated us to the perfect drink concoctions. Needless to say, my sister was there with her friends that night too and she had to drive me home. Eep! I spend nearly two days recovering, and I cringe at how annoying I must have been. But Sarah is a trooper!!! The picture below... Well. It was the end of the night. My eyes say it all. Sober... Right? Er. No.
(my head appears much smaller due to proximity. i assure you our heads are the same size.)

Gabe hangs

Gabe and I hadn't hung out in ages, so he invited me down to Uptown to see his new house, and MAN do I love it! He is a lucky, tasteful man to have scored such a lovely place. We then went for drinks and apps, chatted, etc... And then found him a kitchen thing. And I went home. He is going to help me get motivation for writing. I love Gabbers.

Laura's House: Vegetarian Cuisine a la Chef Laura (with Guests)

Laura invited us girls, including Heather and Lydia, over to her new house for dinner. Laura is a SPECTACULAR cook. And she made us a vegetarian feast! Black bean burgers with guac and salsa, avocado and citrus salad, and a pasta-type of mixture with sweet potatoes. And finally... CHOCOLATE BROWNIES! Heather also brought wine. YUM! I was stuffed for days. I need to learn some skills from Laura. She is a master at food. And everyone knows that this girl loves food!

Twilight: Eclipse (my review, minimal spoilers)

So I have now seen Eclipse twice. The first time alone, and the second time today with the girls. My review remains the same.

I thought it was 10x better than the previous two.

I think the director and cast must have seen how awful the acting and scenes were especially in the last movie and worked to improve.

From the moment the movie started, I felt the acting (especially for the painfully awkward duo of Robert and Kristen) was much more believable and easy. The romantic scenes were not so cringe-worthy, and the movie was funny where it was SUPPOSED to be funny. I actually laughed out loud in several parts, as did the rest of the theater.

The appearance of the film was better as well. The vampires' eyes must have been CGIed, because they looked FAR less contact-y than the previous films. The vampires' skin also looked less caked on, and far more attractive than the last movie. The colors, especially during the wolf scenes, made everything look more realistic than previous.

There was also enough action balanced with enough romance for this movie. Where as the last was overly dramatic and romantic (which isn't bad, but was bad with how horrible the actors were at doing it).

The only thing I didn't like about the movie was the change of actress for Victoria. I preferred the first woman. The new woman is fine, but she just doesn't quite fit for me. oh well.

Overall: If you at all have interest in the Twilight Saga, you will love this movie.

A Lesson in: Stress (Also see: Overwhelming fear and lulls)

Lately I waver between stress, fear, and contentment when it comes to my current unemployment situation. I am unsure of what I WANT to do. I am unsure of what I SHOULD do. And I don't even know where to start. Do I nanny for a while? Do I find a non-profit? Do I pursue writing/editing? Do I pursue promotions to get into the music/event scene? I have a lot of great traveling opportunities approaching in the near future, and I am unsure of what I could do to compliment those vacation days. I will never get a chance like this again, probably, to have more freedom. But I also feel like I should be working right now. I am lost. I am currently scouring the internet and going on informational interviews to find ideas for careers. Eesh.

Preview: Taste of Minnesota (more to come when Heather gets pics up)

No comments: