Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Guilt.

As you may or may not know, I have a guilt complex. I always have. I feel guilty and worried over the tiniest things I do or do not do. The best thing I have learned this week is in regard to coping with guilt.

Guilt and guilty feelings are two different things. Next time you are feeling "guilt," ask yourself: "Did I do something bad, wrong, mean, or illegal?" If the answer is yes, then it may be actual guilt, and you just have to make amends for it (i.e. go to jail, apologize, etc...).

If the answer is no, then those are only guilty feelings, and those feelings are on you. You can choose to continue feeling badly, or you can choose to not feel badly and let it go.

We all make mistakes.

2 comments:

missmitten said...

I am glad you posted this. I feel, sometimes, like I am the most guilty-feeling person on the planet. I've even googled things to find how to help rid myself of feeling so guilty all the time. You put it into perspective in a few sentences :)

Lindsay Vicious said...

glad it helped! i know how it feels to hate the guilt, but being unable to stop feeling it.

thanks for the comment!