Monday, May 10, 2010

"I respect and admire you." "Is that love?" "No, that's respect and admiration."

Trust:
Oh Adrienne Shelly, how I love you.

Justin is obsessed with Hal Hartley movies, with their stylized acting but so-very-honest dialogue. I immediately fell in love with this gem a few seconds after he put it on.

The writing is SO. GOOD. Although the stylized acting seems very on the surface, generalized, and flat--it actually enhances the movies that much more.

The characters become "types" of people that you surely know, and because their words perfectly reflect the things we would or would want to say in situations. You also believe their "act" because you know they are giving all of the credit to those words vs. the acting, the content vs. the pretend emotion in front of the content that the actors could convince or could ruin for you.

Get it? If you don't, you just have to watch to understand.

On a bigger note... I want Adrienne Shelly's face. R.I.P., pretty lady.


Antichrist:Was really excited to see this movie. I knew it was going to be shocking, bizarre, arty, and so when we found it on Netflix for free, I was ecstatic.

Uh.

Disturbing.

I really liked the shamelessness of the movie. It didn't apologize for approaching a lot of "unthinkable" topics (which I will not go into for those who have not seen it yet). At the same time, I didn't feel like this film's only point was to gratuitously shock people. Did it make complete sense all the time? No. Did it have an interesting perspective, with deeper meanings and imagery? Yes.

I can dig that.

There was a really ridiculous part with a bloody fox.

However I really liked eerie-ness of the baby's feet thing (random detail that made me ill thinking about it), the slow demise of "she" into insanity (as shown in the journals), and how the film journeyed to the out-most scary territory of what a human is capable of.

I recommend this. It will haunt you for days.

No comments: